Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Hard Drive size requirements for a vm after updating with Windows 10 Anniversary patch.

Hard Drive size requirements for a vm after updating with Windows 10 Anniversary patch.

This post came about when I saw the anniversary patch hadn't been applied to my windows 10 install after running windows update and it was needed to get Microsoft Edge with extensions. I hadn't planned on this being a blog post, just a recording of space requirements for patching, but it was not a quick fix so I wrote about it while it was going on.

The question is: How much hard disk space will a vm of windows 10 pro take up after being fully updated?



Here's a few measures taken for reference:
  • Windows 10 Pro Install was 9gig, 
  • 'Fully' updating from .iso to 10xxx on Oct 28 was 16gig. 

I was trying to browse the internet and realized how much I hate not having adblock.  There are ways around this such as editting the hosts file, or setting up a raspberry pi / another vm with pfsense to block all adds from your network. Something I plan to do at a later time.  My hope however is not to run my server all the time.  Being in a non-server room, in Florida, means the temperate range will often get to levels that will make the fans noisy.

Since this vm is for learning purposes I'm doing things I normally wouldn't do. With Google Chrome and ublock I would be done within 10 minutes.  But we're going to try Microsoft Edge. My Microsoft Edge did not have an Extensions choice in the main drop-down.  Looking up how to add adblock/abp/ublock to windows Edge led me to downloading the anniversary patch at the very least.
You can also look at your about:flags webpage within Microsoft Edge to see if you can turn any options on to allow extensions.

But lets start on the install.  This is a log of my notes taken during the install.

/begin notes
Running the Windows 10 anniversary patch update button so I could get extensions / adblock for windows edge.
  • Update brought me up to 20 gig from 15 gig before reboot to finish installing.  downloading and running the update took about 30 minutes to install.
  • Install seems locked up at 17% for a while at 26 gb / 33 gb thin provision (currently at 20 minutes trying to reboot and its still applying patches).
  • I just readjusted the vm to 40 gig at this point.  Not sure if that jacked up the hard drives trying to allocate more space or what.(picture down below)


  • 19% and things are moving again....phew...(30 minutes into this reboot)
  • 42% at 43 minutes things. Speed picking up I hope.
  • I just watched the pc reboot itself.  I haven't been watching religiously so this may have happened already once
  • currently 75% at 48 minutes after the reboot. 29 gig used in the vm.
*i'm now scared to install winserver2k12 with 40gig alloted with 2 instances of SQL2012 planned
  • 91% with RAM now at max allocated, it had been floating around 2.2gig to 2.8gig allocated 3gig. CPU at 1.37 gHz, Might want to allocate more during patching.
  • Finished Installing
    • Patch started installing, NOT downloading  at 0850, finished rebooting applying patches at 1003 before I could log in.

  • And then it gave me the screens about it updating for my own good and to not turn off the machine.

    • ...Looking forward to learning Linux now that it runs SQL Server. wonder how AD works with linux and SQL Permissions

  • Update screens only lasted about 2minutes. Much better than the first patching round.

  • Final harddisk space is 29.17 through vSphere client without anything installed other than Microsoft windows 10 updates. Decided to check windows update, just to give microsoft another shot at impressing me. 

  • Downloading 3 more updates, nothing is perfect.

Checking my harddrive space on the vm however shows it at 24gig of 31gig.  Indicating my adjustment on the fly during the install did not take place, and was unneeded.  I need to figure out why. Wondering if it has to do with the solo snapshot I took after the Install.  Need to learn snapshots  TODO




This was done on 4x160gig 7200 sata drives in raid 10 with 1socketx2 cores xeon 5503with 3gig mem alloc, 30gig adjusted to 40gig hd to the vm.
Plan VM accordingly

TL;DR Patch about an 1hr 20 minutes to download and then install, full capacity is 23gig with my 10gig snapshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment