Saturday, October 29, 2016

Q and A Tangents 1 - Articles I'm reading answering questions i'm questioning

Q and A Tangents 1

I believe You should always be learning.  So I read alot of technical articles to answer questions which usually inspire other questions about the stuff I'm working on.  I thought I might write blog posts about questions I've thought up that I get answered from other's posts about what I'm working on.  Unfortunately this will probably lead to more questions so I'll come back to those topics later on. Hopefully this inspires some conversation in the comments section. Maybe if someone sees my unanswered questions they'll answer in a comment or disagree with an answer I have. I may link a post in the question that inspired the question as well.

This is to mimic the hardware review sites I read that kind of aggregate other peoples reviews at the end of their daily posts.  Need to figure out how they do that.  TODO

Q: Can a dell r515 use an amd Opteron 43xx processor? Half the support files only mention 4300.  All mention 4200 and 4100.  Is this a function of being a release II (2) version?


A: Yes it can use Opteron 4300



http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/01/03/amd-opteron-6300-and-4300-series-server-processors-on-enterprise-linux-operating-systems


Q: What memory bandwidth can a dell r515 handle if the r515 is upgraded to a 4332 HE thats listed as
Memory controllerThe number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Supported memory: UDDR3-1866, RDDR3-1866, ULV RDDR3-1333
DIMMs per channel: 3
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 29.7
Can I use RDDR3 - 1333
What voltage is ULV RDDR3
Is ULV different from just low voltage or is ULV just a catchy title

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-Opteron%204332%20HE%20-%20OS4332OFU6KHK.html

A: No Answer yet

Q: What perc cards can different Dell servers use? Can different Dell Servers use older cards?
A:TOO many to list here. I just copied the r510, r515 and dell r710 set.  But still doesn't answer if you can use cards in cross generations.
NOTE: there is a cabled version of dell r510 and r710 that are on the link, but not in my picture, screen was only so big for a screenshot.  You'll need the key as well at the top of the page.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/rc956904/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers?#campaignTabs-3

A: Adapter     I: Integrated     IB: Integrated (Blade)     E: Embedded     NS: Not Supported 


...oh but copy and paste worked really well. Still learning blogger.

A: Adapter      I: Integrated      IB: Integrated (Blade)      E: Embedded      NS: Not Supported 

11G ServersPERC 6/I 256MB CERC C/iSAS 6/iR PERC H700 1GB NV PERC H700 512MB NVPERC H700 512MBPERC H200 PERC H200
(Tape)
PERC S300 (3Gb)PERC S100
T110NS NSANSNSNSAAAIntel-OMB
T310ANSAAAAAAIntel-OMB
T410ANSAAAAAAAIntel-OMB
T610INSIIIIANSNS
T710
(x8 hot plug)
INSIIIIIANSNS
T710
(x16 hot plug)
INSNSIIIIANSNS
R210NSNSANSNSNSANSAIntel-OMB
R310NSNSMAAANSMIntel-OMB
R410ANSMAAAANSMIntel-OMB
R510 
(x4 cabled)
INSIIIIINSAIntel-OMB
R510 
(x8 hot plug)
INSIIIINSANS
R510 
(x12 hot plug)
NSNSNSIIIINSNSNS
R610INSIIIINSNSNS
R710INSIIIIINSNSNS
R715NSNSNSIIIINSNSNS
R810NSNSNSIIIINSNSNS
R815NSNS NSIIIINSNSNS
R910NSNSNSIIIINSNSNS
M610MMNSNSMNSNSNS
M610xNS NSNSNSNSMMNSNSNS
M710MMNSNSMMNSNSNS
M710HDNSNSNSNSNSNSENSNSNS
M910NSNSNSNSNSMNSNSNS


Q: Which also sorta answered my other question of Which cards can be used in existing systems since non enterprise servers sometimes don't support everything.
A:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/rc956904/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers?#campaignTabs-1


Q: What does Dell adapter card mean in PERC H700 PERC 6/i? What does PERC H700 Modular card mean?
A: You don't understand how long I've been looking for this answer after finding the previous answer.  Truly everyone should read this page.
http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/Documents/dell-perc-h700-h800-transition-guide.pdf


Q: What is a blogger Jump Break, is that a page break?
A:No, it's a "read more link" to shorten my longass blog post into something that is more managable for people to click on. Probably helps with SEO since you have more articles on your first page that google hits.

https://blogger.googleblog.com/2009/09/you-might-as-well-jump.html

Q: How much hard disk space will a vm of windows 10 pro take up
A: Install was 9gig, fully updating to 10xxx was 16gig. Running the Windows 10 anniversary patch. So I could get extensions / adblock for windows edge brought me up to 20gig before reboot to finish installing.  downloading and running the update took about 30minutes to install.
Then locked up at 17% for a while at 26gig/33gig thin(currently at 20minutes trying to reboot and its still applying patches).
I readjusted the vm to 40gig at this point.  Not sure if that jacked up the hard drives trying to allocate more space or what.
19% and things are moving again....phew...(30minutes into this reboot)
42% at 43minutes things picking up I hope.
I just watched teh pc reboot itself.  I haven't been watching religiously so this may have happened already
currently 75% at 48minutes after the reboot. 29gig used in the vm.
*i'm now scared to install winserver2k12 with 40gig alloted with 2 instances of SQL
91% with RAM at max allocated, it had been floating around 2.2g to 2.8g allocated 3g. CPU at 1.37ghz
started installing,NOT downloading  at 0850, finished at 1003 with the update before I had to log in.
And then it gave me the stupid screens about it updating itself again and to not turn off the machine.
...Looking forward to learning Linux now that it runs SQLServer.
Update screens only lasted about 2minutes. Much better than the first patching round.
Final harddisk space is 29.17 without anything installed other than Microsoft windows 10.
decided to check windows update, just to give microsoft another shot at impressing me.  Downloading 3 more updates....

This was done on 4x160gig 7200 sata drives in raid 10 with 1socketx2 cores xeon 5503with 3gig mem alloc, 30gig adjusted to 40gig hd to the vm.
Plan VM accordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment